Wednesday, April 28, 2010

Wrath of Lamb April 28/10

So, BC is set to introduce the toughest drunk driving laws in the country. If you're caught blowing over .08, or you refuse to give a breath sample, you will get an automatic, on-the-spot 90-day driving suspension and a fine of 500 dollars or more... If you blow between .05 and .08, you get a 3-day driving suspension and a 200 dollar fine. That's before you even go to court. You could also get your car impounded for a month and face criminal charges. Do I think this is a good thing?

Yes.... kind of.

Drinking and driving is stupid and deadly, we all know that. But I don't think I'm alone when I say there have been situations where I've had a beer or two over a couple hours and then driven home. I feel completely sober, but how do I know if I'm actually below .08? I'm all for stiffening the penalties, and making drunk driving a REALLY serious offense. In my many years doing comedy shows, I've seen people leave bars who could barely walk or talk, getting into their vehicles. But does someone who blows .09 because they had two glasses of wine with dinner deserve to lose their ability to drive for three months??

Maybe a little harsh.

Perhaps what they should do, is install breathalyzers in every establishment that serves alcohol, so everyone can check on their way out the door, and no one will have an excuse.

1 comment:

  1. yeah way too harsh. .05-.08 is not against the law, so why do I have to pay an epic fine and lose my car?

    this won't stop drunk drivers, just take money for the working tax payer (well more money).

    ReplyDelete