Friday, April 16, 2010

Wrath of Lamb April 16/10

Tomorrow is 'Record Store Day' across North America. It's a day set aside to pay honour to our local independent record stores, and the enduring legacy of vinyl.

I think that's great.

My wife and I have a pretty decent record collection, maybe 1200 or so, and as much of a pain in the ass as they are to move, we've never gotten rid of them. And we've moved alot. My friend Kliph has more than 10-thousand... and they're nearly all comedy albums. These days, most of us get our music by downloading it onto our computers. So impersonal, so clinical. Records are great because when you're listening to a record, and you're holding the sleeve in your hand, you feel kind of a personal connection with the artist you're listening to. You can look at the artwork, read the lyrics, see who played on what song... it makes it a far more interactive experience. And besides, I subscribe to the belief that if you have a decent stereo, a vinyl record sounds WAY better than anything digital.

So, I say go out and support your local record store tomorrow for Record Store Day.


No comments:

Post a Comment