Friday, July 2, 2010

Wrath of Lamb July 02/10

Well, I learned a valuable lesson on Wednesday night. You see, as you get older, you slowly come to grips with the fact that you can't do certain things anymore. On Wednesday, I learned that mosh pits and 39-year olds do not mix. I'm still a big fan of punk music, but I think the time has come for me to enjoy it from the sidelines, and not get right up into the action.

I saw Nomeansno at the Sugar nightclub, and it was great. But at some point I thought it would be a good idea to join the mosh pit on the floor. That decision was almost certainly fuelled by alcohol. Now, the pit was not a tightly-knit ball of people bouncing up and down together, it was one of those more open mosh pits where everyone has room to flail around madly. Unfortunately, there were a couple of real idiots in the crowd, who didn't understand the etiquette of slam dancing.

I was minding my own business, bouncing around like a pinball game, when I got completely barreled over by this guy... I went flying into the air and landed square on my back. Even in my haze, I could actually hear people gasp. Somebody pulled me up and asked if I was okay. The booze must have numbed the pain, because I went right back at it. But when I woke up yesterday, I could barely move, and I am still in an enormous amount of pain.

A sad day, to learn that perhaps I'm too old for mosh pits. And perhaps the most ironic thing... I woke up on the couch yesterday, wearing the Nomeansno shirt I had bought... and on the back it says' Old is the new young'. Ummm... no.


No comments:

Post a Comment