Thursday, June 24, 2010

Wrath of Lamb June 24/10

As most of you know, I have a son who's a little over 2 years old. My wife and I try to read books with him every night, because, you know, it's important. I've noticed a few things about children's books.

First of all.... xylophones.

Xylophones get WAY too much attention in kids' alphabet books. I've maybe seen, I don't know, half a dozen xylophones in my entire life. But every children's book seems to think this is the first and only 'X' word my kid should be learning. There are also way too many zebras and violins.

And the other thing I've noticed is an unbelieveable number of friendly bears.

Little Bear, Paddington Bear, Rupert, The Berenstein Bears, Winnie the Pooh. Why so many friendly bears?
This is what we teach our kids... until the first time we take them camping, and then its... 'If you see a bear, don't go near it. Get away, because a bear will tear you in half. Bears are human-hunters... terrifying, hungry beasts that won't rest until they've licked your bones clean'.

'But enough about that, Billy, it's bedtime... do you want a story?'


No comments:

Post a Comment