Monday, June 21, 2010

Wrath of Lamb June 21/10

I want to talk this morning about one of the best comedians this country ever produced. His name is Irwin Barker. Irwin was diagnosed with terminal stomach cancer more than 3 years ago, and given a year to live.  He beat those odds, but sadly he passed away this morning. He was a writer for This Hour Has 22 Minutes and the Rick Mercer Report, and was a national touring headliner. When I started doing comedy more than 10 years ago in Vancouver, Irwin was one of the few 'heavy hitters' who took the time to be friendly to me and give me advice. In fact, the first road gig I ever did was opening for him in Kelowna.

Irwin's comedy was clever, sharp and unmatched anywhere... He was one of the best joke writers in the business and a class act. He could talk for 15 minutes about his love for raisins and have people pissing themselves laughing. And although he very rarely swore, when he did it was the funniest thing ever. He had an unbelievable amount of material, so many hilarious one liners.

He'd say something like 'I bought a book called 'Don't Sweat the Small Stuff', and on the way home I spilled coffee on it.... DAMN I hate when that happens'.

After he got diagnosed, Irwin Barker was very public about his fight with cancer, and the CBC did an amazing documentary about him called 'That's My Time'. He toured the country doing shows to raise money to fight the disease, all the time battling it himself.

So I just wanted to say... Irwin, you were deeply loved by every comic I know, and I know wherever you are now, it is a funnier place.


No comments:

Post a Comment