Thursday, June 17, 2010

Wrath of Lamb June 17/10

I was driving around yesterday, and I happened to drive down Pandora Avenue, between Cook and Quadra. And my God, has it ever gotten bad down there. There were dozens of people hanging around... some were sleeping, others looked like they were making drug deals, and some guy was yelling at a girl. And then I saw a woman shooting up into her leg. What is going on down there? This is supposed to be Victoria, not the Vancouver Downtown Eastside. I remember when 'Our Place' first opened up about two years ago... I was at the opening, working as a reporter for the Q. They promised that their presence would not change the face of the neighbourhood.

How wrong they were.

It's like a war zone down there now. I would never, ever walk with my son through that. I feel really bad for the people who live in apartments around there, and especially the people who are trying to run a business down there. I guess the police probably like it, because it keeps most of the problems in one area, but man. I've heard one of the problems is that Our Place is only open from 7am til 5pm, but then why are there so many people out on the street during that time? Something needs to get done.

That area of downtown is quickly becoming Victoria's ghetto.

No comments:

Post a Comment