Wednesday, March 17, 2010

Wrath of Lamb March 17/10

It's St. Patrick's Day today.


I've always thought it was weird that Ireland was given it's own day every year. Nothing against Ireland... my wife is Irish... it's just that... why Ireland? About 4-million people live in Ireland. There's twice as many people in Bulgaria. But I don't see St. Climent of Ohrid Day. But we celebrate St. Patrick's Day. It's amazing how EVERYbody gets into it... whether they're Irish or not... it crosses cultural boundaries. Last year on St. Patricks Day, I saw a guy down in Centennial Square drinking the GREEN cough syrup.

St. Patrick was a Christian missionary in the fifth century who helped convert the Irish royalty and aristocracy and bring in a new age of Christianity. And so to celebrate this fact, we get drunk on green beer and have shamrocks tattooed on our faces. I say great. But lets set aside days for other cultures, too. How about Belgium Day... we can all eat waffles and be boring. Or Slovakia Fest, where we do whatever it is Slovakians do.

In the meantime, I say Happy St. Patricks Day... and may your home always be too small to hold all your friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment