Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Wrath of Lamb March 16/10

So, the government wants to regulate the use of snowmobiles and other off-road machines. This of course comes in the wake of the two people who got killed in that huge avalanche near Revelstoke the other day. They want to license snowmobilers. Because, at this point, anyone who can afford one can ride one.

I've only been on a snowmobile a couple times in my life. I was up in Yellowknife in the middle of January, doing an internship at a radio station up there, and one of the guys at the station offered to take me out on his snowmobile. I pictured a nice toodle around on a frozen field somewhere. No. After we had a couple beers, I got on the back of this thing and he proceeded to take me out on the ice highway. If you don't know what the ice highway is, it's Great Slave Lake. Totally frozen solid and turned into a major highway. We were doing 110 kilometres an hour, on sheer ice, with semis zooming past us. Did I mention it was 30 below and pitch black darkness? I truly thought I was gonna die.

So, if that's someone's idea of a good time, then I say have at it. I don't think if he had a license it would have made it any less terrifying.

No comments:

Post a Comment