Friday, March 26, 2010

Wrath of Lamb March 26/10

I get a little disturbed sometimes at how much information about ourselves is out there, and how connected we all are with big corporations. I ordered pizza last night... first time I've ordered pizza in months.

I called Panago... First off, they only have one number you call, doesn't matter what location you're trying to get, just one number... and it's a 310 number, where you don't even need an area code... weird.

The woman answers 'Panago!' I say 'Hi, I'd like to order a couple of pizzas please'. She says 'Sure, are you still at 1545 Dewberry Drive?' 'Um.... yeah'. 'Great, do you want the same thing you ordered last time?' 'What? Oh, I don't know' 'Well, on November 17th you ordered two medium pizzas, one tropical Hawaiian and one BBQ Chicken'. 'Oh, okay, yeah'. She knew my address, my name, my phone number, what I ordered, and what location I wanted. It was eerie. I expected her to say something like 'You still have a wife and one child? And a cat? Hows your mom? Did all those tests work out okay?'

And then the other day I bought some t-shirts at The Gap, and the first thing the clerk asked me for was my email address. Why do they need my email address? Here's an idea - I bring a product to your counter, I give you money and then you let me walk out of here with that product, okay? Call me old-fashioned.

Big Brother is watching.

No comments:

Post a Comment