Friday, December 11, 2009

Wrath of Lamb December 11/09

I'm thinking about my friend Owen this morning. He died 8 years ago today, and I miss him. Owen was a good friend, with whom I shared some life changing moments. When I was 19 years old, Owen and I spent three months travelling through the US and Canada, and then three years later we went to Mardi Gras in New Orleans together. I met him when I was in grade 8 or 9, and he was kind of a quirky guy with not alot of friends, but by graduation, he was one of the most popular kids in school. His parents' place was our hangout in high school... they had a basement with a pool table, a stereo and a beer fridge, and it was often the starting point of our evenings.

He died under somewhat mysterious circumstances... he was staying at his folks' place in Oak Bay, and went out for a walk in the middle of the night. He came home with a massive head injury. He died two days later. There was even a homicide investigation, where the police interviewed everyone, including me... but they ended up ruling it an accident... a fall. We held a big party for Owen up at UVic, and a couple hundred people showed up to pay their respects. We all got drunk, just like Owen would have wanted.

I realize this Wrath of Lamb is totally self-serving, but I don't care.

This one's for Owen... rest in peace, buddy...I miss you and I think about you all the time.

No comments:

Post a Comment