Monday, May 10, 2010

Wrath of Lamb May 10/10

Happy 50th birthday to Bono. He, of course, is the lead singer of U2, arguably the biggest rock band in the world. I know not everybody is a fan of U2, but there is no denying the influence these guys have had on rock-n-roll in the past 25 years or so. And although Bono can come across as a little hokey sometimes, you gotta give him credit for all the work he has done, trying to bring awareness to third world debt and AIDS and just about every other cause on the planet.

Bono was born Paul Hewson in Dublin, Ireland, and formed U2 in 1976, as a punk band. Their first album, 'October' was released in 1981. I have a very clear memory of walking home from school in 1983, and I ran into this guy Mike, who was the older brother of a girl in my class. He was carrying a vinyl copy of 'War' and I asked him what it was. He said 'This is a band called U2.... and believe me, these guys are gonna be really huge one day'.

How right he was.So, happy 50th birthday, Bono. Thanks for the tunes.

No comments:

Post a Comment