Thursday, November 26, 2009

Wrath of Lamb November 26/09

I think Stork Craft is getting a bad rap. They're the company facing the largest crib recall in history.. and now they';re facing a huge class action lawsuit. First of all, the company wasn't given proper notice that the recall was being issued, and that's why their website crashed and their phone lines got jammed. They simply weren't ready for the onslaught. Secondly, let's look at the facts... And I don't mean to be morbid here. 2.1 million cribs are being recalled, because 4 children have died in the past four years.

Let's look at that... Four out of 2.1 million... In nine years. Around 60 babies die EVERY year while 'co-sleeping', sharing the bed with their parents. Nearly 500 children drown each year, mostly from being left alone in a bathtub or pool. My point is, is that accidents happen. Do I think this crib recall should happen? Yes, of course I do. Nothing is more important than the safety of our children. But let's stop the widespread panic, and look at it for what it is. The head of Stork Craft has said he thinks the injuries and deaths are happening because the cribs are not being assembled properly.

And I can see that. Maybe it's a combination of that and negligent parenting. After all, we're taking about about four out of 2.1 million... over nine years. And yes, my baby sleeps in one of these exact drop-side Stork Craft cribs. And no, I'm not throwing it out.

No comments:

Post a Comment